The World War II tunnels beneath the Upper Barrakka in Malta’s Capital city, Valletta will be open to the public for the first time in years.
The tunnels that hosted a major strategic centre for the British forces during the war, have undergone restoration works. The works have returned to the public both the area that serrved as war headquarters and the interconnecting tunnels leading to the war-room.
While the winding underground passages were dug back in 1556, they were first used as strategic planning posts by the British in 1939. The dark, damp rooms include several corporal dormitories and even one used by the commander of the Royal Air Force.